No matter what your age, sleep plays an important role in preserving health and wellness. For seniors, a good night’s rest can mean time for the body and mind to recover, more energy to tackle the day and enhanced concentration and mental alertness. Yet, many seniors struggle with falling or staying asleep. To help combat this problem, the trusted caregivers from Home Care Assistance of Santa Clarita share five valuable sleeping tips for seniors.
- Pass on the late night snacks. While a snack a few hours after dinner may be tempting, foods can result in digestive issues such as heartburn that can keep seniors awake or interrupt a sleep cycle. Some snacks may also be packed with sugars, keeping seniors from following their natural sleep cycle.
- Select appropriate types and amounts of beverages. Along with snacks, caffeinated beverages should be avoided. Full glasses of water or other juices and beverages should also be limited a few hours prior to bedtime to prevent getting up in the middle of the night to use the rest room.
- Find a replacement for the television. Studies show that watching television before bed, or using electronic devices like tablets, make it harder to sleep because of the blue light emissions from the screen. Instead, seniors should read a book or listen to an audiobook or pod-cast to help ease them into a restful state.
- Reserve the bedroom for sleep. It isn’t a good idea to just crash on the couch in the living room. Instead, seniors and older adults should set the bedroom aside for sleeping, and make a point to go into the bedroom when it’s time to call it a night. Thus, the bedroom will be associated with sleep, and sleep will come more easily.
- Sleep when the body’s ready. While it’s important to keep a routine, seniors should night fight feelings of sleep. It is natural for older adults to experience a change in their sleep cycle, feeling ready to go to bed earlier. Encourage your aging parent or loved one to give him or herself “permission” to fall asleep earlier.
Are you concerned about the amount of sleep your loved one is getting each night? Perhaps they’re having trouble performing regular daily activities? Find out how you can help support an aging loved one, and contact Home Care Assistance of Santa Clarita today. We provide live-in and part-time care in Santa Clarita, with all services backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
Call 661-259-9914 to request free information or a complimentary, no-obligation consultation with a friendly and experienced Care Manager from Home Care Assistance of Santa Clarita.